Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Luella Marker

My great-grandma passed away yesterday. I know that it was amazing that I even knew my great-grandma let alone had her as a big part of my life. She had three great-great-garandchildren before she died. I wish that I could put into words all that she was to my family and all who came into contact with her.

She was the oldest of eight children. Grew up in Oaklahoma, on a farm where life was hard. She helped raise her brothers and sister. She married at the age of 16 to a man 12 years older. At 18 she had her son. They lived through the dust bowl and the depression. Through wars and many hard times but it did not make my grandma bitter or hard. They moved to the Bay Area during the depression and stayed there until just the last few years of her life.

My grandma was never able to have more children but God blessed her with a lot of children in her life. Her son gave her three girls that she had a big part in raising. Then those girls gave her 8 great-grandchldren who have so many fun memories of her. And then I had three great-great grandchilden who loved her so much. My oldest daughter is named after her and she is proving to be continuing on the name. She is a lot like my grandma already.

Some of the memoris that I have are:

-playing dress up with all of her clothes and jewlery

-she always had special treats for us

-she was the best story teller and had great stories to tell

-she could stay up so late talking that she always out did us

-she loved almost everyone, even those who were hard to love

-she loved my grandpa so much and missed him dearly when he passed away

-she never seemed like an "old" grandma she was willing to accept the changing world, she read a ton, and wanted to kno what was going on in the world.

-she taught me a love of live theater

This list could truly go on forever. This is just a peek into her life.

She was 91 years old even though she told us he was 88. With her age did not really matter. She was 20 at heart. She lived a good long life. She will be greatly missed. We have all cried for our loss. My kids have cried and that is hard. They will miss her. My youngest will not remember her but she did meet her and we will keep the memories alive. My grandma was ready. She was ready to be with her Lord.

I know that she is in heaven dancing with my greandpa and happy as can be.

We will miss her but we will see her again and she will be ready to have a big party with us, like she always was.

4 comments:

Susan said...

About Louella Marker...your story is so true Jessie...she is and always will be the brightest gem in my life. She guided me in so many ways to the "strong" woman that I am today (yes, she always told me to "Stay Strong!"...Love to you and the whole family as we try to accept this change in our lives,
Susan

kddub said...

Jessie, I am so sorry. It is truly hard to say goodbye. I will pray for all of your comfort through this time.

devon said...

Jessie, Scott and i are so sad. And also, knowing that shes so happy now, happy for her. Sad for you and Don and all of us who got to enjoy her, all of us who will miss her. Laura worked up on their house in Alta and shes sad, our friend Darcy worked there too, and fell in love with her. Who wouldn't? She had charm and grace and sparkle and love... i want to be just like her. Bless you Jessie, and your family.

Larissa said...

we are so sorry jessie. she was such a sweet heart. i remember when eli was born, how much it touched me that she was so interested in all the details of him, and he wasn't even her relative. what a loving, caring woman. we will be praying for you, and your whole family, going through this.