Friday, January 12, 2007

What Community Looks Like In My Life...

A little recap of the last few days for me and my family...


Tuesday night was back to soup night, me and a friend make soup, invite anyone that wants to come and we eat together and meet new people. I had really missed having it and I was so happy to start it up again. We had a very full house. Lots of kids running around and playing, people sitting and standing while they eat their soup and bread. One couple stayed a little later and we got to really talk to them. It was what you would call a really good conversation. I shut the door after them and felt blessed to have so many great people in our lives and in our city. My kids ask when soup night will happen again. It is a good time for everyone.

Community

Wednesday found me at a bible study that I go to called Community Bible Study. It is not led by one church but by a group of women that want all women to be invited and to study the Bible together. We are studying the book of Acts this year which deals a lot with community. I have learned a lot so far. The biggest realization so far is that the church of Acts lived in such a way that they we aware of each others needs. They felt safe enough to be vulnerable with each other so that in turn they could meet each others needs. That is what I want in my life. I want friends that we can be honest when we need something and everyone else will be willing to reach out and fill that need.

Community

Wednesday night I went to my mother in laws house (three blocks away) and meet with a bunch of ladies to raise money for some friends that have had some hard things happen in the last few months. We talked, drank wine, and just had a lovely time all around.

Community

Thursday my daughter was with my parents so my son and I packed up his school stuff and went to cafe Rufugio ( a wonderful cafe owned by a friend of mine). We got drinks and tim tams and hung out at the cafe for about two hours. Doing school work and reading. It was wonderful. It is a great space with wonderful coffee. The best part about it is the owners really want to reach out to the community that they are in and are always coming up with great ideas of different things to do to accomplish that goal.

Community

Having friends that live just blocks away, neighbors that know my kids names, my husbands business is full of people that I call my friends, the local librarian that greets my family every time we go to the library, having friends that will just stop by, never feeling alone, having some friends that live far away but feel so close and considering them an important part of my life, my blog "friends", getting together to share a meal or a cup of coffee or tea.


This is what community looks like in my life and I am thankful for it. What does community look like to you?

3 comments:

kddub said...

I truly believe in community. We need others. We can't do life alone. I consider whoever God has decided to put in my life, my community. So my family, friends and neighbors. Those that I "do life together" with. (that sentence is weird, but you know what I mean...)

Anonymous said...

You know a little of what it looks like for me... I loved hearing about yours, it all sounds beautiful and fun.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! Since starting homeschooling this year we are looking for new ways to enlarge our circle. The old-fashioned concept of community is removed from our lives today in so many ways. Perhaps there is a mini-revolution springing up to get back that sense of peace that comes from having a tighter bond with our neighbors and others we see on a regular basis.