Sunday, December 17, 2006

Only one week until Christmas Eve!

I cannot believe that it is almost Christmas and I have not even written anything about it yet. The reason this is so shocking to me is that I love Christmas. It really is one of my favorite holidays. I like holidays in general but Christmas is extra special. I was sitting in our living room with the Christmas tree lights on and just loving the feeling. I think a tree makes a home feel like home. We decorated our house and tree last Sunday. I love pulling out all of the Christmas stuff and how excited the kids get. No matter how many times you do it, it is still exciting every year.

Some of our traditions are:

We get the kids an ornament each year. My mom and dad did this for me and my sister and when I moved out I got to take mine with me. I can remember each one and when I got it. I am hoping to do the same for my kids.

We do an advent sock thing. It is 24 baby socks hung up in a row and in each one is a piece of paper with something for us to do that day written on it. Things like do a puzzle, color together, movie night... things like that.

We bake Christmas cookies. This year we are doing it with my mom, sister, and grandma. I am looking forward to baking with everyone else.

One night we all get in the car with popcorn or some snack and drinks and drive around and look at Christmas lights. This is also something I did with my family and I love doing it with my kids.

We read as many Christmas books as we can get out hands on. The library is a good place to get these but we also are always adding to our own colection.

We read the Christmas story (the real story) before we open presents on Christmas morning ( also something my family does)

We listen to lots of Christmas music.

I love traditions so I am always excited when I can make them with my own family. Some years we do other things but these are the things we do every year. I think it is so important to build memories and whatever you do as a family is building memories. I want my kids to look back and remember this as a good time that we had as a family. Not a stressfull time but a time that was about family. I hope that is what they will remember. And that we had a lot of fun!

3 comments:

devon said...

It sounds so sweet. I think Jack Johnson might have a Christmas album. I love that guy. I'm pretty sure i heard a song of his and it was a rudolph the red nosed reindeer and in the end, after the other reindeer had made fun of him, he made them say sorry before he would guide the sleigh. Very cute!

Unknown said...

true, double true. emailed your husband today. he's dope.

Rebeca said...

Happy Christmas to you all!