Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bad is the new good

I just read this post about how we as moms do not feel like it is ok to say we are good at this job of being a mother. It really hit home. The biggest statement that really got to me was "it is like a competition of whose life sucks the most" We as moms sit around and question everything we do with and to our kids. We sit around and complain about how hard it all is. And it is, but is that all you get out of this job we call mom, really.

Not me. I love this job. And I am good at it. It is liberating to say that. It is like a forbidden thing to say. But it needs to be said. Because it is true. If you love your children, take care of their needs, and make your decisions based on that love. You are doing a good job. Not just a good job but an incredible job.

I have felt like for awhile that we as moms need to support each other more. Not be so hard on each other. Encourage, be supportive, but how can we do that for each other when we cannot even do it for ourselves.

We need to be proud. Not saying I am doing a better job than you, or comparing at all but just saying proudly, " I am good at this" I am doing a kick ass job" I rock!"

So as an early mothers day present to myself and anyone who wants to I am going to be proud of myself and not just in my head. I am going to be happy that I can do this job. I can be good at it. And I do not have to be ashamed of that fact. And you should be proud that you are good at it also.

A few things that I am good at

1. I can make my kids feel better when they are sad

2. I feed my kids nutritious food and they are all healthy

3. I read lots of books to my kids and they love it.

4. I play silly games with my kids

5. I love them and they know it!

Now it is your turn. Take pride in the fact that you are doing a great job and write some of the things that you are good at.

5 comments:

kddub said...

Jessie, you are a wonderful mom, and it's so apparent how much you love your kids! I think this is a good post thanks...
Here's my list:
~I love my kids soooo much
~I care about who they become so I try my best to gaurd what they watch, hear, and do.
~I make sure they do something fun that they enjoy every day.
~I pray for them and their future

Anonymous said...

I kick ass too

Larissa said...

thanks for this post, jessie. what you said is so true, and so sad.
being a mom is seriously the best job ever, and i could not imagine doing anything else but being my boy's full time mom.
here's what i think i'm good at:
- i try to be what eli needs when he needs it (cuddler one minute, driving race cars with him the next)
- i try to balance real life with the precious years of right now where he's forming who he is
- i love him so deeply and try to do my best to care from him from the food he eats, to the affection he gets, to the things he sees, etc....
- i give him stability and consistency where he knows what to expect

devon said...

Word to your mother! Err... Word to US mothers! Yes, this is so good and true, i bet we could come up with very long lists of what we do that is incredible. Thanks Jesse! Devon

Andrea said...

I really like that! IT is so true and so liberating to say...I am good at being a mom!
Thanks.