Friday, May 18, 2007

A bit of quiet

It is a rare moment of quiet so I thought I would try to write and put down all the things that I feel like are always running around in my head.

I ran into a girl that I went to high school with at trader Joe's yesterday. She was two years ahead of me but it was a small school and I knew her a little. The weird thing was when she asked what I was doing these days and I told her that I had THEEE kids. It kind of freaked me out. I think it might have been the first time I said it out loud, I am the mother of three kids. I felt so old but then so young at the same time. I do not think I really ever thought I would have three kids but I do, and I love it.

We went to the library yesterday, just me and the THREE kids. We go about once a week because no matter how many books we get my son reads them all in about a week and is needing more to read. I love the library and since we go a lot we kind of have a system and it works really good. The kids know what to expect and what is expected of them and they love to get new books. What I am trying to say is that when we got our baby I was not sure if we would be able to go anywhere let alone the library. It just seemed so hard and crazy but she is only three months old and we are able to go to the library. A small accomplishment but a good one.

Just in case you think things are easy and serene around here I need to inform you that the whole library thing was an accomplishment not a daily occurrence. I am the mother of three small children. I am so tired at night that all I want to do is watch tv or on a good night read. I spend my days cleaning up, doing laundry, breaking up arguments, and counting the hours until my husband comes home. It is not easy but there are moments of pure joy, like when our new baby smiles at us, when my daughter tells me that she likes my dancing dress, when my son wants to share one of his Lego creations with me, that make it all worth it.

Right now things are really good. We are in Tahoe for the weekend. I am drinking coffee in bed and the kids are all happy. I love getting away with my family. We get to spend uninterrupted time together. We read a lot, cuddle and watch movies, go for walks, and play games. I am going to enjoy every minute of our time here because when we get home things not only go back to normal but we have an added thing.

Here is a clue as to what it is

10x7=?

That would be ten moves in seven years. That's right. We are moving again. And it will be number ten in the seven years we have been married. It will be my sons ninth move.
It all happened really fast, like it always seems to for us. We found a great, wonderful house. It is hard to find new houses in our area close to midtown. We do not want to live in an old house if we can help it because it is a lot of upkeep and we just are not very good at it. Plus any extra time we have we do not want to spend working on our house if we can help it. The house we are in right now is about ten years old. It is no upkeep at all. But now with another child it is starting to feel really cramped and we do not have a yard. As the kids get bigger I see more and more the importance of a yard. The other thing we have been wanting it to have the "hang out house" You know the one that everybody wants to go to and just hang out. We love to have people at our house and we host a number of things so we have been wanting somewhere to be able to do that comfortably. Do I sound like I am justifying this move? I kind of am. I do not really want to move again but I do feel like God brought this house along right when we were looking. It is perfect and I hope one that we can settle down in but as you can see from our track record there are going to be no promises. We will be moving mid June. So, when we get back it will be time to start packing. At least now we are really good at it. We have a great system. Maybe we should write a book titled, how to move as many times as possible, with kids, and not lose your mind.

4 comments:

kddub said...

thats exciting!
Are you going to post pictures?

Enjoy your time in Tahoe, I relate to the constant daily running with three, at least while packing you can justify not cooking or cleaning anything except the bottles!!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to suburbia... glad you can join us.

Larissa said...

i'd buy that book!!! ;)
how exciting for you guys!!! i can't wait to see pictures... and i don't envy you packing with 3, i'll be praying for you guys!!! :) yay!!

devon said...

Maybe i could be listed in the glossary as a fellow mover. Lets see, i've been married six years. We've lived in 4 different city/towns and 9 houses. Sam has lived in 8 of the houses. Yikes! I just had to total it after seeing your high numbers, no competition here, just standing alongside you in the thoughts of packing an entire house and then unpacking. Peace be with you, now, and when the storm hits!