Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Foster Care Awarness Month

May is foster care awareness month. My husband and I were able to go to a play that is playing here in our city. Our baby was with a babysitter for the first time. My really good friend offered to watch her and it just all worked out that we were able to get tickets that night. It was an amazing show. It is called Someones Somebody. It is written and acted by one woman. It is about her life growing up in the foster care system. It is heart breaking and inspiring all at the same time. She wrote a book first that is called the same thing. I really want to read it now. It is hard to describe the feel of the play but it made us cry and laugh. She is an amazing woman. And now she is spending her time getting the word spread on foster care and the needs that are there.

I also just looked up a program here in our city that pairs you up with a foster care child for one year. In that year you spend 10 hours a month with the child. Doing things that maybe that child would never get to do. Things like going to the zoo, a play, out to dinner. I just found it and I am going to try to go to the information night in June.

Right now I am reading another book by the woman that wrote Another Place at the Table. The one I am reading is One Small Boat. It is so good but really sad. It is so hard for me to grasp that all this is going on here in our country. There are children that at best are being neglected and at worst horribly abused. I am just trying to figure out what I can do realistically with three children to help other children.

We went out to Chick-fil-a last night. It is the kids favorite place to go because they have a play place. I do not usually like those places but this one is actually nice. It is new to start with so it has that factor but it is just a really nice fast food place. It is always clean, the people who work there are really nice and the food is pretty decent. You can get a grilled chicken sandwich that has a lot of lettuce and tomato on it. Anyway, the guy who took our order was really nice. After we had eaten, which by the way Monday is a special day that for every combo you buy you get the next one free so we at for under ten dollars and got four combos. After we were done the kids were still playing so I went up to get a milkshake for us to share. The same guy took my order and he asked me about our baby. She said something about her being a bit darker than the rest of us and I told him that she is adopted. He then shared that he is adopted and does not know anything about his birth parents and so does not really know his ethnic background. But he was so positive about it and said that he was so happy for us and that the baby would never know anything different. It was an encounter that I would not have had if we did not have our baby. I have a feeling she is going to open more doors for us to share.

So, in the spirit of foster care awareness month please pray for all the children in foster care. It is a scary place for some of them, and an uncertain way to live. We need to keep on praying for them.

2 comments:

devon said...

Been thinkin about this SO much lately. Prayer first, then action! I love knowing about the 10 hour thing. Remind me to ask you about the June meeting.

kddub said...

I have a friend who grew up in the foster care system. The longest she ever lived with a family was five years. For her whole life! She had a very difficult life. I am so glad you are able to adopt little Ruth and give her a much better life than she would've had without you.