Thursday, May 31, 2007

Family

We had a great memorial weekend. My family had a big birthday bash for my grandma. She turned 70 this year. It was at my parents house which is always a really nice place to go. It is up in the woods and really peaceful and beautiful. The kids just ran around all day and played. We ate great food and visited. I think my grandma was very happy.

We stayed the night there and then went over to my grandpa's house where my great-grandma lived. My mom and her two sisters were here so we thought it was a good time to go through some of my great-grandma's stuff. It was really sad but we were also laughing a lot. We found things that reminded us of her and things she would say or do. We went through all of her jewelry, which was a lot, and divided it up between all us girls. I am so glad that I get to have little bits of her to remember her by and to pass down to my girls.

It was a really nice time with family. I really enjoy being with them. We all have our quirky things but that is what we love about each other. My moms older sister always makes me laugh and see things in ways that I would not look at them. Her younger sister is really good at giving advise. And I think every time I am with my mom I feel closer and closer to her. She truly is a friend to me and a mom. She loves my kids so much and through doing that she loves me. My dad is also so important to me. He was getting mad at the party because he had not had a chance to hold the baby. He really likes her a lot and she likes him. I think that the older I get the more I appreciate my family.

My son told me that he likes it when my sister cooks for him because she likes plain food also so he does not have to worry about her making it spicy. My cousin made a treasure hunt for all of the kids at the party and they loved that.

I guess I am just realizing that I do not want to take my family for granted. It is a very special thing to have them in my life.

It is not something that just happens but is something that has to be worked at and important to everyone involved. My great-grandma taught us that. She taught us that it is ok to tease each other as long as it was in love. We were to spend holidays together, not because we had to but because it was more fun with everyone around. Staying up late and visiting was one of her greatest joys and she passed that on to us. She made every visit, every encounter a special one just by her being happy.

I realized that my family does not really talk bad about each other. We may get a bit irritated but there was always an excuse. Like if you got upset my great-grandma would say, "o that poor thing, is just to busy or stressed or tired." She taught us so much about loving and treasuring your family. And as far as the grand kids went, they could do no wrong and we knew that she would love us unconditionally. She knew that it was the parents place to raise and discipline but that everyone needs someone in their life that will think they are wonderful not matter what they do.

She has taught me so much and I want to make sure that I pass it on to my kids. I am thankful that my parents have taken up the role of loving unconditionally. To them, the grand kids can do no wrong. And I want to pass on the importance of getting together and just visiting until late at night, laughing and eating. We will pass on this wisdom to our kids that their great-great-grandma taught her family.

1 comment:

kddub said...

That sounds like a great weekend, and like your Grandma left a wonderful legacy.