Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Lord Is Good

I am sitting in bed tonight totally exhausted. Levi is in San Francisico at a conference for the week and that means its just me and the kids. We just got back from spending the night at my parents. We had a really nice time there and it was nice to have so much help. I always get to rest more there and there are more hands to get the kids the million and one things they always need. The kids are both in bed now so it is time for me to do what ever I want until I crash and fall asleep.

Yesterday I got a phone call from a girl that wants me to be her doula, which is a birthing assistent, and I think I am going to do it. Before I had my second child I had taken a class to be a dula and read some books. Then I got pregnent and just got busy and never finished the classes to become, certified. Then I get this call out of nowhere and she wants me to do it for her. I told her that I have not been officially trained but that I would love to do it if she still wanted me to. This is her second child so she is pretty comforable with the whole process but wants someone there that is not family that will help her. I am such a stong believer that giving birth should and can be a really great experience. It is really so natural and what our bodies are made to do. I think we tend to get in the way and not let our bodies do what is so instictive. I know that there can be complications and I think that it is really great to have a doctor there when you really need one but most of the time our bodies would do just what they are supposed to do when they are supposed to do it. So, anyway, I will get off of my soapbox now. I am just really excited about this opportunity. I am going to need to do a little refresher reading and then I will meet with the woman and her husband and write up a birth plan. That way I know what they do and do not want and all of that kind of stuff.

I was discouraged a couple of days ago and really feeling like I did not have anything that was mine to identifiy with and I feel like God brought this along to encourage me. It is something that I have always been interested in and this way I can see if it is somthing I really like and if so I could look into it more and maybe finish my classes.

I had both of my kids at home with a midwife in the water and it was wonderful. Maybe I will talk about that more sometime but that is a long story. I have also been there when one on my friends had her baby at home in the water. What I have not seen is a hospital birth personally. I am looking forward to the new experience and something that I can really throw myself into that is different than my every day life. The Lord is really good and He really cares for each one of us individually.

5 comments:

devon said...

Jesse! This is too much! Just trippy that this would happen so soon after you were looking for the next thing. I feel priveledged to know your birth stories and why you trust our bodies to do this amazing thing. And this girl is going to be a blessing and very blessed. If you were my doula i'd be completely confident in your strength and faithfulness and tenderness. You are perfect for something such as this. I can't wait to see you and talk about it. Right now we're listening to the huge fountain out in the courtyard below and it is so wonderful.

devon said...

Jesse, could you send me your phone number at oosonshineoo@hotmail.com. Everybody is wanting to stay up here for Sams birthday, instead of coming down to the hot hot valley. One more night, if it would be at all possible would be amazing. That would be Thursday night. Talk to you soon.

Unknown said...

That is so exciting! I've been thinking a lot about doulas lately and the value of having a trusted girlfriend who's been through it all before...I don't think it's necessary to have doula certification in order to be fill that role during labor. Devon's right, your strength and tenderness are your biggests assets in this arena. You're gonna be great! (But I do think it'd be awesome if you finished your certification and became a bonafide doula) Wish you were closer! I would LOVE to hear your birthing experiences sometime...

how to write a bibliography examples said...

It's great to read such a positive, bright and wise article on the internet, where there is a lot of trash. Thanks for posting such articles!

what causes acne said...

I think all these articles are quite easy to understand and I wonder why I've never thought thus.