Monday, June 05, 2006

Stupid Three Mile and the Ones That Got Away

It has been a really long weekend. I decided to go to Santa Cruz with my friend Vanessa to visit our friend, Joanna. We left Saturday afternoon, had a nice ride there and arrived at Joanna's house ready to have a nice relaxing weekend at the ocean. We pretty much just went into her house to say hello, get a little tour, and then back in the car to drive to the beach. We park our car at Three Mile along hwy. 1 with about 6 other cars and head down to the beach. As we are running around on the beach little do we know that some " really mean people" are up at our car making off with all of our stuff. Yes, that's right, they broke the window of Vanessa's car and took ALL of our stuff! They got all three of our purses, my overnight bag with EVERYTHING that I had brought on the trip. A couple of other bags and two cell phones. The one amazing thing was that Vanessa had her work lap top in the back of the car in a bag and they did not take that. That was a miricle. Talk about complete shock as we walk back from the beach and see the window broken and then start realizing all that was in there. So, here are three girls in Santa Cruz with no money, no way to get money, no IDs, one cell phone and a car full of broken glass.

So, we drive to Joanna's house and start calling all of the credit card companys and all of that. They had already used Joanna's credit card to buy gas. Thanks to Joanna's dad ( who had left her some emergency cash we were able to get by and have a great weekend anyway). We decided that we did not want to ruin our time so after we did what needed to be done we headed out to a great dinner.

The next morning Joanna had to work so she went to work and we went out to breakfast. Let me tell you, that was the most amazing food I think I have ever had. We went to Cafe Brazil and it was so yummy. I have to tell you that I think my favorite part about this place is that while you are waiting to be seated they have coffee that you can serve yourself and enjoy while you wait. I think more places should do that.

Then off to the beach. I know we were kind of asking for more but what are you going to do when you are in Santa Cruz? Go to the beach! So, we had a really nice time laying on the beach, reading, and trying to swim ( it was pretty cold). While we are there we get a call that maybe someone has turned in one of the purses to the police station. We track down the leads we had being very ( private eye) and we came up empty handed.

Later that day we went to the beach once again and filed our police report. Then off to church with Joanna and then home. Driving home with an open window late at night was a bit cold. We bundled up and turned on the heater and just had to laugh at all we had been through.

Then this morning my husband and I went to replace my phone and I got the messages that had been sent to my "old" phone. A couple of friends had called because my phone had called them at weird times and with nobody talking. To all of you I am sorry and yes I am fine. The person who had my old phone thought it would be fun to call all of the numbers in my phone. What a day.

It is so weird how violated you feel when someone just takes your stuff. It was not even that I had that much or that expensive of stuff (except for my phone) but it was my stuff. My jeans, my flip flops, my swimsuit, my makeup and lotion. That kind of sounds selfish but I liked what I had and I don't want to have to replace it.

I think I will be more carefull and maybe I have learned a lesson but I do not like to live my life afraid of people or suspicious of others but it might take a little while to wear off. I still think it was very mean. If it is not yours, please don't just take it.

6 comments:

kddub said...

Wow.... what a crazy weekend. That is terrible! It's a good thing that you are all alright, I am sorry that happened!
~Kristin

1weirdgirl said...

gosh that's terrible.. i mean, it could be worse... sounds like you didn't have the kiddos with you? that was probably a relief...
i totally feel violated too with that kind of thing... it's just not right no matter how big or small...
but it's funny that we have to teach our kids to not just take stuff, it's like human nature...

devon said...

Jesse! i'm so sorry that that happened. I feel so pissed! And now i just want those people to be caught and FULLY punished. they suck and i hope their consciences never let em forget it. Here you are three lovely girls who do the right things all around and then this... It just seems crazy! I wonder what we could all learn from this, i'll probably ponder on that one for some time. I love you and hope you can feel ok. Poor girls!

buying research papers said...

I think a credit card is different from a charge card: a charge card requires the balance to be paid in full each month. In contrast, credit cards allow the consumers a continuing balance of debt, subject to interest being charged

darkmuse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
writing services canada said...

I got nothing to say. just quote onr phrase from the song:
Now you´re broke you´re a runner
On the run from profigunners
Now you´re broke you´re a runner
To get away is all that you want