Monday, July 31, 2006

THE NEWS


We have some big news to share. Lately we feel like God is showing us that our family is not done growing. We had both felt like maybe we were done and that two kids was enough. But then we had a change of heart. I think God changed our hearts. My husband and I started talking about it and just could not get over the feeling that we were not done growing as a family. Then as we talked about it more we discovered that neither one of us felt like we wanted to have another baby naturally, ( as in birthing a baby). So we started talking about adoption and what that could mean for our family. As we talked, prayed, and researched we felt more and more like it was right for us.

( A little background) I have wanted to adopt before I even had kids. Actually before I was even married. I used to go to an orphanage in Mexico for the summers when I was in high school. Even then I would think about how neat it would be to adopt and take care of one of those wonderful children. Then I went to India a year after I graduated from high school. While we were there we went to this village to play with the kids and just kind of hang out. This girl that was about 8 or 9 years old came up to me with what I think was her sister and asked me to take the baby with me. She communicated that she wanted me to take the baby home to my home. Even now it makes me so sad. I really, really wanted to take that baby. I was not even married or ready to have kids but I just wanted to take care of her. So, ever since then I have really wanted to adopt. I kind of feel like it is a calling that God has put on my life.

Back to the story.
God then blessed me with a huband that is totally open to adoption. He blessed me with two of my own wonderful kids and I am so glad that I got to experience carrying my kids in my belly and feeding them and having a newborn. I would not trade any of that for the world. But now I feel ready to accept another child into our family another way.

We have just sent in our application to the agency and we have decided on Guatemala. My husband and I love the Latin American culture and we as a family have been working on learning more spanish. We felt like it was a culture that we could intergrate into our family and that is important to us. We do not know how old the child will be. It could be anywhere from 6months old to about a year. It is a pretty long process and we have just barley started. We have talked to our son about it and he is excited about it. He is actually the one that was saying that we needed more kids in our family. He said to me the other night " I don't care how many kids we have or how old they are or if they are a boy or girl" I felt like that was such a blessing from God that he would be so open to whatever happens.

So, I will update on here whenever things change and as we progess in the process. It may be a long and emotional journey so I think it will be good for me to share what we are going through. The Lord is so good and He will make it all happen in His timing.

5 comments:

devon said...

Wow! Thats so exciting, and you are the forerunners. I want to know everything! Have fun in Montana!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to have another baby in the family.

Unknown said...

You are one of the most amazing families I know and you'll be the best adoptive family ever! I can't wait to hear how the process is going.

Rae said...

Oh- Jessie, I want to adopt so badly! This just made me really excited and confirmed in my heart that we're supposed to. My favorite book as a kid was this book called "the family nobody wanted" about a couple who adopted 12 kids, (most of them mixed race, this was back in the 30s and 40s, thus the nobody wanted part! can you believe it?) anyways, I am so, so, so excited for you, and I'm so glad that you shared this. Sorry, I have been behind in my blog reading, so this is a little late!

Lisa said...

Yes, this is such wonderful news! I can't wait to hear more down the road! My husband and I both felt strongly about adoption before we were married and had ever said anything about it to each other. I will probably be asking you for advice when we go down that road. And isn't it such a beautiful picture of God's love for us? That He does not leave us as orphans but brings us into His family.