Monday, October 02, 2006

The Mystry Sickness

In order to tell this story I have to give a little background. For as long as I can remember every time I get sick a couple of days later my husband gets sick and then he has a new found sympathy for me because now he knows what it really feels like. So I had been sick for a couple of days. Not really a big deal, just a cold or something but I felt pretty bad. Then Sunday morning he wakes up, is totally fine for about an hour and then suddenly he is sick. So, I did what I usually do and complain that he always gets sick after me and that it is not fair that he is sick on the weekend when he can rest blah, blah , blah... So he stays in bed most of the day. I take the kids to this thing at the park ( a children's fair) and then we head home about 3pm. When we get home he tells me that he does not think that he is ok and that he needs to go to the doctor. Now a little more background. My husbad does not go to the doctor unless it is really bad so I knew that something was not right. So we drop the kids off at my friend, Vanessa's, house and go to the urgent care. They find out what is wrong with him and tell us that we have to go to the emergency because they cannot treat him there. At this point I am getting a bit freaked out but trying to keep it together. So, off to the ER we go.

Once we get there it is more paperwork and waiting. I hate emergency rooms. They have always freaked me out. It seems like the most fitlthy, contaminated place. Besides the fact that there is always something really gross that happens while I am there everytime. One time I was waiting in the ER and this guy came in with a nail through his finger. This time it was a coung guy that had a bike accident and his face was all cut up and he was crying and I was just so sad for him. It was an absolute zoo in there. It seemed like everyone there waiting to be seen had brought about 15 extra people with them, kids running all over the place, it was just crazy. Then they call our name.

We go in, they ask a couple of questions and start an I.V. The first thing is that they say he is very dehydrated. So they start some fluids, take some blood for tests, and try to make him comfortable. At this point they are saying that it is probably a virus or food born illness.

I leave after he is comfortable and get the kids, take them home, feed them, and put them to bed. Then my great friend, Vanessa, comes over to stay with the kids while I go back to the hospital. So, I find out that while I was gone they gave him some morphine for the pain and as soon as they gave it to him, he had a horrible reaction to it. His head started hurting even worse and his oxogyn went way down. So, they stopped that and gave him something else. I guess we should have told them that he is very sensitive to everything.

Anyway, when I got there they were talking about giving him a cats scan to rule out the possibility of Crohns Disease. So I started really getting worried. They made him drink this gigantic cup of fluid and then wait an hour and then took him to the cats scan. After that was done I figured I better go home and get some sleep so that I would be able to take care of the kids in the morning. I got to bed about 1am. My daughter woke me up at 7am which was actually an answer to prayer because shw has been known to wake much earlier.

So, about 9am the kids and I walked over to the hospital ( it is only four blocks away) to see (daddy). He was looking a bit better, they still had him hooked up to everything and we still had not heard anything from a doctor about the cats scan or any of the blood tests. So after a visit I take the kids home. It is not really fun to try to hang out at the hospital with little kids. We hung out at home, did some school, cleaned the house, did some laundry, ate lunch, took naps, all while waiting for the doctor to come and tell us what was going on. I would call every hour or so and try to find something out and my husband would say the same thing each time, " I still have not seen a doctor". I was about to go crazy. What if my husband had this horrible disease? What if he was not going to get better? What in the world would I do without him? It was getting pretty bad and all this with the kids and trying to stay positive for them. Finally at about 3pm the doctor came and said that it was not the worst case thing with the disease and that they were now sure that it is a virus that is making his colon really unhappy. They will not know what exactly it is for a couple of days but that the antibiotics that they had him on would take care of it, with time.

I got to finally go and pick him up at 5pm. When we got there, he had taken his IV out himself! For those of you that know him, you are probably not that surprised. He did get in trouble with the nurse when she came in and found out he had done that. He was really ready to come home.

So, now back at home I am very relieved. He is not better but he will be able to get better. I am so thankful. He had a bunch of visitors today and that was really great to see how many people really care about us. He is on a pretty strict diet and he actually asked me to make him some chicken broth tonight. He said that mine was much better then the one at the hospital. What a compliment, I must me an amazing cook. I do not know how long it will take for him to get better but we will just take it one day at a time and I know that I will be very thankful for each and every one of those days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you guys. So I don't know if anyone is really going to come to soup night tonight.

kddub said...

I am sorry, that sounds like such an ordeal. So he's going to be okay?

devon said...

Jesse, poor levi! i start out feeling bad for you, because of the 'you always get sick first thing', then i feel bad thinking of Scott who is the one who gets sick first and i never believe him... Then theres Levi, with something terrible. I hope today those anti's kick in and that all your pro's do too (chicken broth, etc)
Many
Blessings

Larissa said...

that sounds like an ordeal! glad he's going to be okay. wish we lived closer and could have helped!

Woman of Faith said...

Just want you both to know that I am praying for you. Levi sounds like this just might make him crazy being so confined. soundsa like a really rough week to be sure! Just remember that God is good and He will work all thngs together for good to those who love Him. Oh by the way ,Love the story of Levi wanting to utilize his sleep hours LOL! I agree with you ,he is crazy!

Rae said...

Wow, Jessie, I'm so sorry! I haven't really been reading blogs lately, mostly writing, and I didn't even read this! You must have wondered why I didn't know what you were talking about. I'm so glad you stayed home, I hope things are getting better. It is so so hard to have a sick husband. I know. Love you.